Dreaming, Living, and Loving

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Good Wife

I am surprised by my topic of choice, being that I have not posted in almost a year.  But alas, I came across the following video and had a few thoughts, which coincided unexpectedly with the time to share.  So, here goes:


I don't know that I would ever advise someone to walk the road this woman has chosen in marriage, but by all accounts, it seems this is where the Lord has called her and given her grace to walk.  As I watched her story unfold, I found myself challenged and convicted.  I don't know that I would have the courage and selflessness to love and serve Tim in this way, if he were to have a life-changing accident of this magnitude NOW, much less while we were dating, and then CHOOSE him/his weakness for the rest of my life!  (I only pray I would be strong enough, if ever given the chance).

But for today, the topic got me thinking... How much of my time, attitude, and words are devoted to how Tim should be serving me (harder, with excellence, with a better attitude, without me asking, etc.)?  As opposed to how I could/should be serving him?     

If you are reading along, I imagine we have been fighting similar battles: miscarriage, infertility, job insecurity/searches, general frustrations with life/waiting/wanting, a tendency to see the negative and maybe camp there a little too long, etc.  

This is why I want to encourage you, me, us to SEIZE THIS DAY!!!  (Carpe Diem, if you will:)

We all to often forget, that Satan would love nothing more than to seize this time for us; planting seeds of resentment, bitterness, and isolation, which in time will produce an unwanted harvest...  DON'T LET HIM!!!  (By the way, if you are single and reading this… don’t stop, this DOES apply to you)!!!

I recently read an article written by a mother to her son, one line read, "choose a wife carefully, for she will be the gatekeeper to my relationship with you and my future grandchildren."  I think this statement holds true in more ways than one.  For instance ~ how are you holding the gate of your home closed against Satan AND FOR YOUR FAMILY (or future family)?  For me, it is easy to forget the power I have in Christ and the charge He has given me, not just for myself, but with Tim and for our home.

Proverbs 14:1 says, The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down.

Marriage is not about making sure another meets your needs OR even making sure we meet all the needs of another.  It is about coming together as a united team and worshiping God as we hold the battle line hand in hand!!!

How are we holding our spouses hands for battle?  Are we encouraging them or tearing them down?  Are we serving them or seeking to be served?  Are we waking up in the morning and seizing the day for our families and homes WITH CHRIST?  If we are single, are we sitting on the battlefield and refusing to fight until our knight in shining armor arrives?

We need to get up, re-focus, and gear up for battle ~ SERVING EVERY DAY!

Today’s Focus:
Jesus Christ.  He is my standard, He is my strength, He is my grace!
“Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning, and great is HIS faithfulness.” 
Lamentations 3:22-23

How may I serve YOU?
And Jesus said, “Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave; just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”  Matthew 20:26-28

Fight as a Team ~ NO Reserve, NO Retreat, NO Regret!!!
So Joshua fought the Amalekites as Moses had ordered, and Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill. As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. When Moses’ hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other—so that his hands remained steady till sunset.  So Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword.” Exodus 17:10-13

No comments:

Post a Comment